Friday, June 29, 2007

Eliot- The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

This poem by Eliot was very interesting as it seemed to examine the mind of the modern man. Prufrock seems to be talking to a woman that he is interested in, but does not seem to ever want to actually ever approach the girl. So although this was entitled a love song, this man never seems to be interested in actually entering an actual relationship.

Eliot writes:

"Let us go then, you and I,
When the evening is spread out against the sky
Like a patient etherised upon a table;
Let us go, through certain half-deserted streets,
The muttering retreats" (1194)

Although the narrator speaks of us, he is not able to communicate his true feelings to those that he may love. He is a man who is obviously insecure of himself and is unable to express his true feelings to others in his life. His insecurity is obviously a deterrent as he speaks of love but is unable to attain it. In the following passage the narrator makes a comment about the views of others around him.

"And indeed there will be time
To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare"
Time to turn back and descend the stair,
With a bald spot in the middle of my hair."

The insecurity this man feels is present in all that he does and he becomes concerned about even the smallest affairs in his life. The thing that I love the most about the poem is the way in which it is structured. The way in which Eliot writes really seemed to be really easy to understand because of the language he uses.

4 comments:

Jonathan.Glance said...

Jeremy,

Good quotations and comments on this poem. I am glad you enjoyed Eliot (or at least Prufrock).

Kelly Blount said...

I also enjoyed Prufrock. After reading the poem I pictured the speaker as a little man all bundled up in his clothes, constantly looking around to see who is looking at him. I like the way Eliot shows this man dealing with the modern world. Nice post!

Brenda Hawthorne said...

I liked this poem as well. Prufrock is a pretty sad little man, but I have met people who were just about as insecure as Prufrock, especially when it came to approaching the opposite sex, so it is easy to imagine how he felt. good job on your post!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Computador, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://computador-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.