Friday, June 29, 2007

Yeats- No Second Troy

In this poem Yeats seems to compare Maud Gonne to Helen of Troy. He was really destroyed in the loss of his lover and most of his poetry seemed to be inspired by his lost love.

"Why should I blame her that she filled my days
With misery, or that she would of late
Have taught to ignorant men most violent ways," (1118)

I looked up Maud Gonne and she was an early member of the theatre movement started by her longtime suitor Yeats. You can feel the misery and pain present by Yeats in his poetry.
I really enjoyed and could understand the feelings of Yeats as we have all been in his position at one time. Dealing with lost loves is hard for anyone, yet with Yeats we are able to read his feelings through his poetry.

"Why, what could she have done, being what she is?
Was there another Troy for her to burn" (1118)

I found this to be a very interesting passage in the poem as I read it to be wondering if she ever did this to anyone else. I could be wrong as my understanding of poetry is limited but that is a powerful idea thought by all jilted lovers. It is only natural for one to think about how the other moves on with their lives. This poem just really stood out to me because it is so commonplace. I mean it shows the feeling of a famous writer who deals with the complexity of life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like your thoughts about Yeat's work and how he writes about not being able to replace this person in their life.